Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 19, 2014

2014: What happens in Paris doesn't always stay in Paris


A call to be brave
I was sitting on one of the pews, the second last row near to the door. The pastor was sharing his experience to the Anglican congregation in Paris; it was the last Sunday in 2013. I could connect to what he was telling us: his family migrated to Paris from London a few years ago, not knowing what life would look like in the new country. 

The reason I could relate myself to that was because I did exactly the same thing last autumn: made a commitment to study, moving to a new country/continent completely foreign to me, leaving all the familiarity back in Asia, to enter a new journey I knew nothing of its end. 

Some 2000 years ago a man named Joseph experienced the uncertainty of following what was told to him: taking a divinely pregnant virgin woman to be his wife is one thing,  taking care of her and the holy child she conceived was another, besides he had to take them to a journey to Bethlehem for Mary to deliver her child and later on a flight to Egypt because Herod was searching for that child to kill him.  Yet, there was no recorded response of his; we took it that he obeyed. 


A call of faith
Some close friends knew the personal encounter I had that led to my brave decision of being back to school in this foreign land.  Yet I think being brave is not about being fearless; rather, despite the fear, in my personal experience, there is always a Person whose strength and calling just way too greater, beyond any fear you could ever have, along with His nature of an infinite presence -- the same God who called Joseph 2000+ years ago.    

I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds it.







The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.  - 1 Thessalonians 5:24




No comments: