Sharing the same name, I think I should learn more about her.... =) 'Cos I'm far than faithful and... tend to take over the control from God's hands. Here's what is written about her (LIFE Application Study Bible, NIV, Tyndale and Zondervan, 1995 -- page 2123).
E L I Z A B E T H
In societies like Israel, in which a woman's value was largely measured by her ability to bear children, to be aging and without children often led to personal hardship and public shame. For Elizabeth, a childless old age was a painful and lonely time during which she remained faithful to God. ...
Elizabeth whispered her praise as she cared for God's gift. Knowing about Mary must have made her marvel at God's timing. Things had worked out even better than she could have planned. We, too, need to remember that God is in control of every situation. When did you last pause to recognize God's timing in the events of your life?Strengths and accomplishments:
- Known as deeply spiritual woman
- Showed no doubts about God's ability to fulfill his promise
- Mother of John the Baptist
- The first woman besides Mary to hear of the coming Savior
Lessons from her life:
- God does not forget those who have been faithful to Him
- God's timetable and methods do not have to conform to what we expect