Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 30, 2013

Ben Eibhinn: conquering the mountain.

Glasgow, Scotland 
Day 25




Scotland's Best Business School. A privilege.
A couple of days ago I received a message from a sister in Singapore, she was checking in how I'm doing.  I saw myself responding to her the same with what I told my home group leader during our lunch on my last day in Singapore: 
I almost called Scotland off just a week before my departure, but I felt at peace a few days before I left... and when I reached this foreign country, I felt that this is where I should be, this is what I should do.

The Strathclyde Business School staff and lecturers have put strong emphasis on putting in efforts in our program, our responsibility in maintaining the school's reputation of being Scotland's best business school and in the list of UK's Top 10 MBA program.  

The Business School names its batches of students after Scottish mountains; besides beginning to fond of it, I began to see the relevance. 
Second week in the program I've been burning my weekends and a public holiday for group work meetings.  As heavy as it seems the journey has been rewarding. 

We're placed in groups with assisted roving facilitation to make us work alongside as various as possible individuals in the some-40 strong class.


Patience is (still) a virtue.
Being a first-born daughter, the central attention at home, a daddy's girl and mommy's world, I won my parents' heart (especially my late dad's) by performing well in school.  I think I have enough reasons to be childlike, a strong-willed and impatient person.  Not proud of this side of mine. 
I have changed a lot the past few years, but I need a lot more improvements. 

One of the reasons of pursuing an MBA is I personally wish to be rewarded with personal development in being more approachable person, a person who is more willing to understand others, a more matured personality that is able to see beyond what it seems (because things are not always as they seem).
And yes, since the first week I began to receive what I wanted. 

We're now on one of the toughest modules in the program.  This particular group I am currently in is I could say much better than the other groups I was previously part of.  Five of us, four female and one male, four nationalities and none of us is a native English speaker.  
Our alumni mentioned the same issues they dealt with in a group work, so I think there's nothing new but how we choose to respond to differences and conflicts.  Above all, it is a humbling experience. 


"It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." -- Sir Edmund Hillary.







picture: courtesy of Scottish Hills





No comments: