Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Dressed Up

Well, congratulations, Mr. Obama! So, you're the 1st African-American to be the president of the richest country in history. People have been talking about the victory since yesterday, today, again and again. And this is a news about Mrs. Obama's dress =) Women (or wives) would always be criticized, I guess. I grew up learning from my mum that as a wife, I have to present myself well -- well dressed, speak well, watch out your attitude, equip yourself (cooking, study and perform well at school) -- 'cos you represent your husband... and your children! Hahahahaha. Tough! Hhhmm... but I'm not sure why I grew up feeling comfortably wearing skirts, rather than pants. I remembered she always asked me to wear skirts for church service. LOL. BTW, she never allowed me to enter kitchen or to cook, 'cos it would be too dangerous for me... >.< Michelle Obama's Election Night Dress posted by Rebecca Detken - Wed, Nov 5, 2008, 9:50 am PDT Last night, Barack Obama made history when he was elected the 44th president of the United States! Obama was joined onstage in Chicago's Grant Park by his wife, Michelle, and their two daughters, Sasha and Malia, as he addressed an estimated crowd of 240,000 people. President-elect Barack Obama and his family celebrate in Chicago's Grant Park. INFDaily.com While Obama's eloquent victory speech moved me to tears, unfortunately so did Michelle's dress. Barack looked sharp as can be in a dark navy suit, which was custom made by Hart Schaffner Marx, but I just wasn't feeling Michelle's splotchy red and black Narciso Rodriguez frock. It might seem a little shallow to be discussing fashion the day after such a big moment in America's history, but I'm not the only one buzzing about Mrs. Obama's election night attire. Yahoo! users are searching like crazy for info on her dress, while critics are weighing in on whether it was a hit or miss. Like me, LA Times blogger Elizabeth Snead was not a fan of the frock, calling it "disastrous." Of course, not everyone agrees. BlackBookmag.com's Alisa Gould-Simon found the dress to be shocking, but notes that it was "unexpected, uncoventional, and right on trend." InStyle.com also applauded our First Lady-elect's bold decision to wear something modern instead of a classic Oscar de La Renta number like many of the First Ladies before her. "Michelle Obama made fashion history last night," writes InStyle's Katrina Szish. "America, get ready to see what a true modern style icon is all about." I guess I have to give Michelle props for daring to be different!
*******************

No comments: